This is a step-by-step guide on how to install Citrix License Server Version 11.14 for Windows. Importing licenses to the License Server will also be covered in this guide. Citrix products require licenses for users to connect successfully and depend on communication with the license server. When users connect to a Citrix product, it requests to check out a license from the License Server on behalf of the user or client device. When the license is successfully checked out, the user can run the product.
In terms of XenDesktop, the License server communicates with the XenDesktop Delivery Controller to manage licensing for each user’s session and with Studio to allocate license files. There are two types of licenses,
• User/Device, A user license allows a single user access from an unlimited number of devices, while a device license allows an unlimited number of users access from a single device. The license server will decide for you if you’ll use a user or a device license, and it will ensure that the smallest amount of licenses required are allocated.
• Concurrent, This type of licenses are not tied to a specific user or machine. The License is rather tied to a specific user/device combination, and its valid for the duration of the session. If the session ends, the license is returned to the license pool. If a user connects from two different devices, he will consume two licenses.
In XD 7.6 LTSR only one type of license can be used within a site, so you have to choose between user/device or concurrent. XenApp only supports concurrent licenses, while XenDesktop supports both types. Obviously if you install XenDesktop licenses (Platinum or Enterprise edition), then you have access to both XenApp and XenDesktop features.
In XD 7.15 LTSR you can use concurrent and/or user/device licenses within the same site, configured on a per Delivery Group basis, through Multi-type Licensing.
The minimum supported version of the License Server is 11.12.1 for XD 7.6 LTSR,
and 11.14.0 for XD 7.15 LTSR. Supported platforms you can install Citrix License Server 11.14 on are Windows Client/Server versions from Win7/2008R2 to Win10/2016. Citrix recommends to install the License Server on a server OS. License Servers cannot communicate with each other.
1. Installation of Citrix License Server 11.14
If you are going to install the License Server by running the standalone install file, then you will have to install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 or greater before installing the License Server. Otherwise you can just run the setup from the XenDesktop 7.15 ISO. The version included with XD 7.15 ISO is 220.127.116.11_BUILD_21103
1.1 Launch AutoSelect.exe from the XD 7.15 LTSR ISO
1.2 On the Manage Your Delivery screen, click Start on XenDesktop
1.3 Select to install Citrix License Server
1.4 Accept the license agreement, then click Next
1.5 Click Next
1.6 Select to automatically create the rules for the License Server ports in the Windows Firewall, click Next
• License Server Port (27000), The license server manager uses this port. License server manager handles the initial communication between the products, starts the vendor daemon, and relays check out and check in requests to the vendor daemon
• Vendor Daemon Port (7279), The Citrix vendor daemon is a process that runs on the License Server. Its responsible for the core operations of the license server, including allocation of licenses to Citrix products.
• Management Console Web Port (8082), The port used to connect to the License Administration Console
• Web Services for Licensing Port (8083), Web Services for Licensing enables Studio, Director, and the Licensing Administration PowerShell Snap-in to communicate with the License Server and manage users. Allocate and install licenses. Display License Server health, license usage, and other alert messages. Port 8083 is also used to connect to Citrix Licensing Manager.
The Windows firewall exceptions consist of allowing all inbound TCP connections, on any port for the following three programs
1.7 Click Install on the Summary page
1.8 And you are finished installing the product
2. Obtaining Licenses
2.1 Log on to your account at Citrix.com
2.2 If you want to retrieve XenDesktop evaluation licenses, click on Previews/Betas – License Retrieval
2.3 Under XenDesktop Evaluation, click on Retrieve more Licenses
2.4 After the licenses have been retrieved, click on one of the licenses
2.5 You will get this warning. Click Continue
2.6 Enter Host ID of the license server. This is obviously the computer name of the license server, and it is case sensitive. So remember to enter it correctly.
2.7 Then follow the procedure as outlined by Citrix. In the end, you will download a .LIC file
3. Importing the license file to the license server
You have two options for this. You can either use Citrix Licensing Manager, or Citrix License Administration Console.
The License Administration Console can only manage the License Server on the computer on which it is installed. It cannot manage remote or third party License Servers. The Citrix Licensing Manager can install licenses only on the License Server where it is installed. The consoles can be accessed from any server or client operating system using a web browser.
3.1 Citrix License Administration Console (port 8082)
3.1.1 When you start the console, you will be presented with the Dashboard. Here you can view the type of Licenses you have installed on the server, and any alerts that might be on the License Server.
3.1.2 Click on Administration, and you can log on to the Administration Console
3.1.3 Click the Vendor Daemon Configuration tab
3.1.4 Click Import License
3.1.5 Browse to the License file
3.1.6 Click Import License
3.1.7 Click OK
3.1.8 Click Administer in the Citrix vendor daemon line.
3.1.9 Click Reread License Files to allow the License Server to recognize the new file. Users can begin using these licenses when the License Server reads the licenses.
3.1.10 Click Log Out. You will be back at the Dashboard, where you can view the licenses that have been added to the License Server
3.1.11 The license file is imported to the following location, C:\Program Files(x86)\Citrix\Licensing\MyFiles
3.2 Citrix Licensing Manager (port 8083)
3.2.1 When you start the Licensing Manager, you will be presented with the Historical Use tab. Click on Install Licenses.
3.2.2 Select Use downloaded license file, then click on Choose File and browse to the license file.
3.2.3 Click Import
3.2.4 The license file will be imported